Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1877 - Alexander Graham Bell installs the world's first telephone service. First order of business is to invent the phone sex hotline.
- 1893 - Lizzie Borden is acquitted for the murders of her father and stepmother, after brandishing an axe at the judge, jury and the prosecution.
- 1959 - A rare hurricane strikes Canada's Gulf of St. Lawrence, destroying vast Sasquatch habitat in Nova Scotia and postponing National Curling Championships.
- 1963 - The U.S. and the Soviet Union create an emergency "red telephone" hotline so leaders of both countries can talk about their day and ask about the weather.
- 1973 - Argentina dictator Juan Perón orders the killing of 50,000 civilians who call the Malvinas the Falkland Islands.
- 1994 - The British finally land on the Moon, mission nearly aborted when tea kettle briefly malfunctions. (Pictured)