Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1584 - Martin Frobisher sails from England to Frobisher Bay, Canada. He is stunned to find somewhere he's never been named after himself.
- 1830 - The first cigarettes are introduced and are approved by the Surgeon General as a treatment for pink lung disease.
- 1884 - John Harvey Kellogg, after seeing a field of corn covered in flakes of snow, patents yogurt enemas and pornflakes. (Pictured)
- 1924 - The Soviet Union signs an agreement with the Chinese government, designating Outer Mongolia as One of the funniest place-names in the world.
- 1945 - Babe Ruth, in the heat of the game, kills the umpire, and is given a stern warning.
- 1961 - Scientists release research confirming anchovies are more at home in tomato sauce than water.
- 1974 - Syria and Israel sign an accord to resolve the hostilities over who gets first dibs on "Kojak" re-runs.