Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1778 – The Continental Congress passes the first budget of the United States, budgeting 10,000 doubloons for defense, 5000 pieces of eight for social programs, and additional booty to highways.
- 1796 – George Washington makes his farewell address, saying "Aye me mateys, it were good being captain of this fine ship of state."
- 1957 – First U.S. underground nuclear bomb test is conducted, shivering timbers as far as 500 miles away.
- 1970 – Pirates the world over rejoice at Oldsmobile's launch of the Cutlass Supreme.
- 1985 – First pirated movie released. It is rated ARRRRRRRRRRR!
- 1995 – First Talk Like a Pirate Day. It rapidly replaces the unpopular Talk Like a Ninja Day, which involved people saying nothing so as to conceal their presence.