Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1458 - Pope Pius II declares that Spain does not exist.
- 1397 - The Vikings commit their most heinous crime by founding Sweden.
- 1865 - Abraham Lincoln turns down tickets to the Ice Capades in order to see a play
- 1975 - The split infinitive is invented. In protest, grammarians sets themselves on fire. NYT obit: "They died as they lived, prepared to selflessly martyr themselves for what they believed in."
- 1914 - Stand-up British gents die jolly-good deaths in World War I.
- 1982 - Pope John Paul II readmits Spain to existence, apologizes for his forepope's bigotry.
- 2012 - The word lol is finally added to the Oxford dictionary, despite numerous protests from stuffy prescriptivists like Stephen Fry.