Forum:Couple of ideas here
I'm really tired after last night's zombie attack, so I'm just going to throw down these ideas and then take a nap. Please have reviewed and implemented them by the time I wake up.
- Special:Shortpages works, hooray, we're saved. Ideally one could look at this list and find pages that slipped through the cracks and need deleting, but it doesn't work that way. That's because the list is filled with legitimate short pages that are best left un-deleted. Add the fact that the list is cached and only updated every so often, and it becomes thoroughly useless for finding pages to VFD or QVFD. So, could someone cook up a template that would remove a page from Special:Shortpages, so we can get the legitimate pages out of sight and focus on the pants ones? Is there one already? (You could do the trick by adding a 5000-byte comment to the page, but that seems kind of dumb.) There is a little potential for abuse with this template, but then again it would be hidden so random vandals wouldn't know about it.
- When I'm reading a featured article, I always prefer to read the featured version rather than the current version that has probably been all monged up with lists and one-liners and other dumb crap since the article became popular. But I've noticed a lot of the previously featured versions have dead images that have been removed from the page and then huffed for being orphaned. Should we stop this plz? Maybe flag images that are part of featured articles?
- A big mug of hot chocolate would be nice about now. -- 16:37, 22 April 2008 (UTC)
- A while back, Dr. Skullthumper had the idea to use some script to add the text below (it's hidden by the magic of code, and the power of advertising) to disambiguation pages, to keep them off shortpages. Maybe he could do it again...?
- Sannse may be the one to ask about that, her or Ljlego, as they're the image-purgers. I don't know if there's any easy solution, though...
- I like marshmallows in my hot chocolate. Mmmm. - 16:49, Apr 22
- As for the images, it can't be too bad, right? Just go through the featured articles and tag the images with a template. I do 3 articles per day, I'll be finished in a year. Should I have a go at it?
Even if this image is orphaned, it will always have a home in our hearts (and the featured version, which is probably better than the current version).Please do not huff this image without a very very good reason, or the featured version will be ruined forever.
--00:58, 23 April 2008 (UTC)