Hey Arnold! is a 1990s/early 2000s Nickelodeon cartoon that centers on a kind-hearted grade schooler Arnold, who lives with his grandparents in a boarding home full of moochers and freaks. Episodes center on Arnold's fight to survive in the ghettos of
Brooklyn, New York Hillwood, Washington, while also dealing with the more mundane problems of bullies, eating contests, and possibly-deceased parents he and his friends encounter.
To cash in on the '90s nostalgia craze, Nick has announced production of a TV movie titled Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie, set for release in 2017. It is expected to tie up loose ends in the series' storyline including the whereabouts of Arnold's parents, and to also make up for the disappointingly bland first Hey Arnold! movie.
Premise[edit | edit source]
Created by the brother-in-law of the guy who made The Simpsons, and based on her clay animation shorts on Sesame Street and comics, the show stars grade-schooler Arnold, who lives with his oddball grandparents Phil and Gertrude. At age nine, Arnold takes the subway, walks to school, skips school, goes through the other side of town, and kidnaps giant sea turtles; some parents may think, "Wow! What an adventurous little boy," while others would think, "What is this world coming to?"
Arnold resides in Sunset Arms, a boarding home filled with old men, kooks, and moochers who often sneak into his room in the middle of the night. Arnold has a pet owl called Hedwig, and a godfather who goes by the name of Voldemort. Arnold's lover is Helga Pataki, a girl who beats Arnold, yet secretly loves him and even has a secret shrine ode to him.
Characters[edit | edit source]
Main characters[edit | edit source]
- Arnold – Arnold has no last name. His parents were lost in a jungle adventure. There were a few episodes in which Arnold's last name was almost revealed, but it would have been to shocking for young viewers. Arnold is distantly related to Anna Nicole Smith.
- Helga Pataki – Helga Patiki is most commonly known for her prominent unibrow. Helga likes to go out in public and scare young children, and rob the jolly olly man. She loves dressing up as pieces of meat an/or milk cartons. You can often find her in the dark alley way with monkey man getting her groove on. Voiced by Mel Blanc.
- Gerald Johansen – Anorld's token African-American friend. He is often found passed out the subway, or is found spraying milk out of his nose, because of frequent cocaine usage. His hair is shaped like a can, and it is approximately 10-ft. tall. He tries to grow an afro, but it ends up sort of, well, rectangular. His brother is an all star baseball player, who is commonly assosiated with Mickey Rooney, another oddball on the show.
Supporting characters[edit | edit source]
- Pheobe Higher-Than-Y'all – Pheobe H.T.Y, is actually the biggest slut on the entire show. She be wearnin them little skirtz and nobody knowz if she be wearin anythang unda-neath. Ohh man. Pheobe, sometimes trys to put out a 'good girl' image. She has glasses, and gets straight A's. Only because she pays her teachaas with shall we say, sexual favors. Her father, Michael-Molesto is part Asian, part alien. No one really knows fo' sho. Her mother is a French prostitute. You can see a sample of her younger years here. She hustles drugs on the streets, and she has been shot in the brain seventy times to this date.
- Rhonda-Little Richie – Well well well where can we begin about Rhonda. Rhonda was born and raised in southern Mississippi. She was part of the slave trade and grew up with famous folks like Harriet Tubman & Rosa Parks (because they totally lived in teh same time period). She was beaten and abused by the McDonalds clown, hence her fear of chicken McNuggests. During the cold war, Rhonda's eyes fell out. She then started wearing glass eyes. In the 34th season (the Jurassic season), she became ill... and died. Her parents did not mourn for they hated her. They instead adpoted Helga's older sister (Olga) into the family.
Broadcast[edit | edit source]
The show currently does NOT air at 6 am on the nicktoons channel, it only airs when it feels like it and on Christmas.