Forum:Interwiki link to fi:
A long while ago, we were having problems with fi: being down or intermittently down if one were to attempt to reach it using the original address, which was http://peelonet.zapto.org/hikipedia
We initially had fi: directed to http://peelonet.zapto.org/hikipedia/index.php?title=$1
This was changed at some point to instead link to Sannse's fork of the project, which basically started over with a blank wiki.
One problem; the http://peelonet.zapto.org/hikipedia address seems to be responding now (and indeed does redirect to the main project, not the fork). On uncyclopedia.org, however, the fi: interwiki prefix points to the fork.
As we don't have the Special:Interwiki extension on Wikia, we have no means to revert this change and point fi: to the original project.
The fi: prefix works as it should on most of the non-Wikia, but here ast: sl: yi: as well as (from most Wikia-hosted languages) ja: are broken entirely (noted a month ago at Forum:Interlanguage links need checking) and fi: is now pointing to a small fork.
The main version of fi: is already over 4000 pages, so larger (by page count) than any other Uncyclopedia language except English or Polish.
Any chance of these ever getting fixed? --Carlb 21:10, 31 December 2006 (UTC)
- Seriously, We've propably lost dozens of potentials Hikipedians to that pile of "Jaakko on homo ja imee omaa..."-roskalle ("John is gay and sucks his own.."-rubbish). Finnish users come here, find Uncyclopedia funny, discover that there is a finnish counterpart and get directed to the wrong Hikipedia, which they get scared of, and they end up mourning in the forums about how pathetic Hikipedia is. And the evil "Vilkku" from the fork laughs at me when I tell him that he's a thief. Please! – Preceding unsigned comment added by Hjassan (talk • contribs)
Carl, I do wish you would stop refering to this as "Sannse's Fork". When the original peelonet.zapto.org project disapeared, we both set up alternatives and invited the community to move there. They chose to move to yours, which is fine of course. The Wikia one has been rather in limbo since then because we don't have a straightforward close procedure (something I hope to get sorted at the Wikia staff meeting this week). But I agree that the (mostly) unused version at Wikia needs to close, and the interlanguage link redirected. I will comment out the fi. link now, until I can get someone to fix it, and lock the Wikia fi. until it can be deleted (we will keep a copy of the database as it is now, as we always do). -- sannse (talk) 10:10, 31 January 2007 (UTC)
- After looking at the active users on fi.uncyclopedia I decided to pause and consult them first... that seems only fair. But I have commented out the interlanguage links, and added the request to change it to http://hiki.pedia.ws/. I'll leave the message at Hikipedia:Kahvihuone for a while to see the level of support/protest at the closure. Please feel free to add comments there.
- I missed the comments about the other interlangauge links. Carl, are you sure there is still a problem? I checked all the Wikia uncycs for the ja. link, and a few random ones for ast, sl and yi... as far as I can see all are correct. And all of the Wikia hosted versions are showing all 39 of the others on the main page sidebar. Can you be more specific about the problems you are seeing please? Thanks -- sannse (talk) 12:53, 1 February 2007 (UTC)
- What about Carlb's forks of every uncyclopedia version hosted by wikia including this one? How many potential contributors are lost to en.uncyclopedia when they get to a mirror where every "my-teahcer-is-si-gay" article is kept and there's no sign that's not the actual site? If wikia's hikipedia fork should be closed, then by the same logic Carlb's fork should be closed too. Unless they are locked from editing, the articles deleted in the original site are deleted there too and all are marked clearly as mirros. Thoughts?---Asteroid B612 (aka Rataube) - Ñ 17:16, 1 February 2007 (UTC)
- That's a good point. I know there are others who have protested about the forks being there (and about them being editable, about licence compatability, and the misleading impression that we have all actually edited there). I also see that some of the versions we link to don't have the full set of interlanguage links , and some have links to Carl's forks rather than the main site . So I think it's fair to say that the wikis Carl hosts are not immune to the difficulties of keeping up to date -- sannse (talk) 21:06, 1 February 2007 (UTC)
The Wikia version of Hikipedia has been closed, and the database locked. It will be removed completely later (although the database will remain available in case it's wanted by anyone).
Carl, did you miss the rest of this discussion? You didn't reply to any of the points above. -- sannse (talk) 12:59, 23 March 2007 (UTC)