“It's seen to shame to burn just one thing I hate.”
“They sure don't like caravans.”
“Where's your caravan?! oh wait there it is”
“Fancy comin' back to me pad for some cheap cider and tac?”
Caravans or travel trailers are used for towing on holiday trips without hurting the budget. However, they're regarded as humbugs and are items of destruction. Caravans are often targeted by car passionates, revheads and car lovers and driving lovers, assuming that they hate caravans.
For people who like caravans, it's okay but they have to be aware of those facts.
- Caravans take up one car length (therefore, taking up more space on roads).
- Caravans cause traffic jams (because of one car length used up by the caravan).
- Add weight (cars must be big and powerful to tow a caravan faultlessly. Otherwise, cars towing caravans can add strain to every component).
- They create more blind spots (Highly experienced drivers are recommended).
- Learner drivers are forbidden to tow caravans for good measures.
Caravans vs. Cars
- Caravans are more bulkier than cars
- Cars are more rigid even though they're more heavier
- Cars and caravans both need to be maintained
- Cars are more indestructible than caravans
Caravans vs. Campervans
- Campervans are car developed
- They are no bulkier than caravans
- Campervans don't need to tow caravans as they have all the amenities
OK, imagine you have a caravan, then you also have a car to tow it, a big powerful car, 2.5 diesel or similar, and when you are not towing your caravan - which is a huge percentage of the time - you are driving around in the big powerful car using fuel and emitting grotty stuff both in huge lumps. Now, you have a motorhome, which has a big powerful engine, 2.5 diesel or more, and you drive your motorhome to its site, park up, and thats it for the holiday - if you have ever tried packing up a motorhome for a quick trip to the shops you know what "thats it" means! You walk or bus or cadge lifts from caravanners to get around, or you tow a car, to be towable the car has to be very small and light, a Smart car or Citroen C1,and small light cars do not use much fuel, do not emit huge lumps of earth eating stuff, and when you get home the van is parked up and you continue using the small car, because its too expensive to have a third vehicle and the drive is too small anyway. So.. get a motorhome and save the planet.
Although caravans were built to be strong, it proved weak in recent crash studies. Caravans are made out of plywood, aluminium and sometimes, fibreglass which are known to be light but not as strong as other materials so they crumple easier. However, caravans proved to be extra crumple zones for oncoming cars behind. The strongest part of the caravan is it's chassis.
In experimental crash tests, one crash test uses a Reliant Robin to crash at the back of the caravan. The Reliant Robin is a lightweight and compact car and when it collided to a caravan, the backside had almost completely crumpled. After the crash, the Relaint Robin didn't suffer any damages apart from some scratches.
A Hummer is then used. This car is much bigger and heavier than the Relaint Robin and not to mention that the ride height is even higher. When the Hummer meets the caravan, the Hummer nearly went through the caravan and like the Relaint Robin, the Hummer suffered almost no damage.
Both cars travelled at 64 km/h in the test.
- In Series 3 of Top Gear, Episode 5, the Mistral GT was dropped onto a Toyota Hilux and it
crumpled but the Hilux remained unharmed.
- In Series 2 of Top Gear, a Rocket Car burnt a caravan after burning a Nissan Sunny. Those two
are the things Richard Hammond hates.
- Brainiac, a british science abuse shows use caravans to perform dangerous experiments
- In another episode of Top Gear, the Caravan Speed World Record was set at 124.9 mph but then,
the kitchen window blew out. But then, James May decided to get rid of it. The caravan was hooked up to a crane and dropped it at a height of 90 metres (295 ft).
Speed: 174 km/h (109 mph) NO BROKEN RECORD!
- In the USA, caravans have been used in trailer races along with trailers and sometimes, boats.
- A gang of men in Nelvana, USA were bored so they rolled a ute down a cliff. As the ute plunged
down, it got battered and rolled and after that, the ute was a write off. After that, they shoved an old caravan down the cliff, the caravan then rolled fast and it's externals stripped off as it hit rocks as it fell. Then, the caravan rolled off a ramp-shaped peak and the caravan flipped in mid air, with some pieces breaking off and when the caravan hit the ground, it broke into pieces.
- as of the year 2020 caravan was declared the 1st largest religion on the north face of mars
- Famous Aberdeen College Student Ralph Davidson lives in one in a toilet and is proud of it.
Here are some tips.
- Make sure your vehicle can pull the load
- Distribute the load properly
- Be able to see behind your load
- Modify your driving when towing
- Maintain your caravan
Intelligent Russian Caravans have been able to create their own tea blend for centuries. A resulting recognition of this was awarded to Cara Van de Kamp, Head of the Caravan obsessive society's Russian division in 1989 in the form of their own mass-produced tea - Russian Caravan. This honored the tea's cheap and tacky taste which many drinkers claim reminds them of past caravan holidays.
Time to crunch a caravan! BBC News article http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/images/2005/03/20/caravan_203_203x152.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/content/articles/2005/03/20/caravan_racing_feature.shtml&h=152&w=203&sz=7&hl=en&start=56&tbnid=2IWc1WoUyn3lOM:&tbnh=79&tbnw=105&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcaravan%2Bdestruction%26start%3D54%26gbv%3D2%26ndsp%3D18%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DN
You Tube - Awesome caravan destruction by celebs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wVhKg4t4wQ&NR=1
You Tube - Top Gear - Best of Caravan Destruction http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWiIX1jshLU
You Tube - Brainiac: Exploding Caravan http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=625OsObNXRc]