UnNews:Iran mum on US mystery missile
10 November 2010
A CBS News helicopter captured what looked like the vapor trail of a missile rising from the water about 35 miles (56 km) offshore.
"Right now, all indications are that there was no DoD [Department of Defense] involvement in this launch" Pentagon spokesman Col. David Lapan said. “Besides, we have nothing to do with missile launches at sea. We’re land based.”
The Pentagon neither confirmed nor denied that the object was an enormous 100-megaton nuke called a “continental nuke,” specially outfitted with atomic-silencer and flash guard. But it stressed that there was no threat to the American homeland, either because it was aimed in the opposite direction, or because it failed to achieve any damage to anyone or anything, least of all the nuclear annihilation of everyone.
"So far, we've come up empty with any approved explanation," Col. Lapan said. "We're doing everything we can to try to figure out if anybody has any knowledge of what this event may have been."
Under normal circumstances, the launch of a US missile would require several different authorizations and notifications, but none are evident. The entire event remains a mystery.
Meanwhile, in a possibly related development, Al Jazeera reported that Iran had gone totally off the air, and all forms of communication with Iran have ceased. There has been no reaction to the mystery missile by Tehran at all. Or perhaps there has been, but we can't see it, because they're off the air.
- Staff "Mystery missile launch reported off California coast" BBC News, November 10, 2010